Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Derek

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:16:51 -0500, Doug Jones > wrote:

>>>Ok, here's a real example for you. Simple one, easy to prove. No
>>>"indirect", no "accidental" or anything else. I pick up a pound of
>>>organically grown brocolli. At the same time, I pick up a one-pound
>>>lobster. I eat the lobster, you eat the brocolli. Which one of us
>>>has just killed more animals *directly*? Hint - you have.

>>How can that BE when YOU kill and eat the lobster? All I've
>>done is eat the broccoli.

>You've also killed and eaten several dozen thrips.

Then you've obviously moved the goalposts from broccoli to
broccoli with bugs in, haven't you? Nice try, but I saw you
coming.

> They're small
>insects which are always found in broccoli, and even more so in my
>nice organically grown example.

I don't regard insects as animals, even though they are defined
as such. To me an animal is a class of creature that can
demonstrate sentience.

>I chose this specifically because I
>have only killed *one* animal, an arthropod, you've killed an order of
>magnitude more, also arthropods, in one meal. Tsk.

The killing of bugs means nothing to me because I don't believe
they have sentience or can be wronged in any way. Nice effort,
but I've seen this tactic tried before.

>Most of your other "arguments" fall apart as well under scrutiny. For
>example there *have* been studies done (check Medline with the author
>"Key"), and suprisingly to the principal author (he's a vegan) there
>is - no- difference - between matched populations.

What the Hell are you talking about?

>Put in terms
>you'll understand - the vegan diet does not make one healthier.

Non sequitur, ipse dixit and false.

>All assertions to the contrary.

Write complete sentences so I can understand what you're
trying to say, or are you trying to be vague intentionally?

>Almost all "studies" quoted by various
>vegan web sites are either anecdotal or misquote the studies
>themselves.

What studies are you talking about?

>Saying a vegan diet is your personal preference is the *only* valid
>argument for it.

I disagree.

>Every other argument falls apart, since other diets
>have similar heatlh benefits,

Ipse dixit and false.

>can be shown to be more environmentally

Ipse dixit and false.

>friendly

Ipse dixit and false.

>kill fewer animals

Ipse dixit and false.

When are you going to try supporting these claim you
keep pulling out of your arse?