Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Doug Jones

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:30:48 +0000, Derek >
wrote:

>>>That's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.

>>Ok, here's a real example for you. Simple one, easy to prove. No
>>"indirect", no "accidental" or anything else. I pick up a pound of
>>organically grown brocolli. At the same time, I pick up a one-pound
>>lobster. I eat the lobster, you eat the brocolli. Which one of us
>>has just killed more animals *directly*? Hint - you have.

>How can that BE when YOU kill and eat the lobster? All I've
>done is eat the broccoli.

You've also killed and eaten several dozen thrips. They're small
insects which are always found in broccoli, and even more so in my
nice organically grown example. I chose this specifically because I
have only killed *one* animal, an arthropod, you've killed an order of
magnitude more, also arthropods, in one meal. Tsk.

Most of your other "arguments" fall apart as well under scrutiny. For
example there *have* been studies done (check Medline with the author
"Key"), and suprisingly to the principal author (he's a vegan) there
is - no- difference - between matched populations. Put in terms
you'll understand - the vegan diet does not make one healthier. All
assertions to the contrary. Almost all "studies" quoted by various
vegan web sites are either anecdotal or misquote the studies
themselves.

Saying a vegan diet is your personal preference is the *only* valid
argument for it. Every other argument falls apart, since other diets
have similar heatlh benefits, can be shown to be more environmentally
friendly, kill fewer animals, etc., etc., etc.