Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Derek

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:02:14 -0500, Doug Jones > wrote:
>On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 16:37:21 +0000, Derek >wrote:

>>>Actually, it isn't.

>>It poses a false dilemma, as described in the definition I've
>>provided. Your denial or feigned ignorance of it doesn't
>>escape the fact that while collateral deaths exist ubiquitously
>>in food production, rejecting veganism as a solution to the deaths
>>associated with man's diet generally, is specious.

I'll take your lack of a comment to that as tacit acceptance.

>>>However, every argument, except for one, *for* veganism is fallacious.

>>Show how "veganism is fallacious." Don't just declare it like
>>a petulant child; show how.

No? Didn't feel like it?

>>>It is not healthier than other diets

>>Ipse dixit and false.
>>
>>> it is not more environmentally friendly

>>Ipse dixit and false.
>>
>>> it does not cause fewer deaths

>>Ipse dixit and false.
>>
>>>and it not more efficient.

>>Ipse dixit and false.
>>.
>>>Each of those arguments falls apart in the face of real data

>>Then show it instead of making these unsupported claims.

Hello? When are you going to support those wild claims with
some hard evidence?

>>> of which the collateral deaths argument is one.

>>The collateral deaths argument is specious and debunked.
>>
>>>The *only* argument for it is "I prefer it." That's the only valid
>>>one. Everything else is garbage.

>>That's your opinion, and I don't agree with it.

>Ok, here's a real example for you. Simple one, easy to prove. No
>"indirect", no "accidental" or anything else. I pick up a pound of
>organically grown brocolli. At the same time, I pick up a one-pound
>lobster. I eat the lobster, you eat the brocolli. Which one of us
>has just killed more animals *directly*? Hint - you have.

How can that BE when YOU kill and eat the lobster? All I've
done is eat the broccoli.