Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap

Default What is that funny Styrofoam Smell !?

The smell has reduced quite a bit and now it just has that yeast smell,
nothing sour or rotten. I used one campden for each gallon, but I
havent done a titrets test. I'm guessing the sulfite level is right.
It's bubbling away nicely. This was the first time I used Champaign
yeast also, so I'm wondering if it gave off a different smell than what
I was used to. The smell came at the same time fermentation took off
so that makes sense to me. I'll make another batch soon, something
other than apple and not use honey. I'll use champaign yeast again to
see if that's all it was. As far as this batch goes, I'll just wait
and see what happens.

thanks,
hap