Doug Miller

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

In article >, (Leila A.) wrote:

>Thanks for doing such good research.
>
>However, I wonder how they can say that the partially hydrogenated fat
>is "almost totally saturated" and therefore "contains only an
>insignificant trace amount of trans fats. "

Trans fats are not saturated.

>What I understand is that partially hydrogenated fat is just not good
>for you and I avoid it.

It's probably not as bad for you as fully hydrogenated fat (same as
saturated).

[snip]

>The label on the supermarket brand PB my husband bought listed, in
>this order: Peanuts, dextrose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, (then a
>list of other stuff).
>
>It's entirely possible that I overreacted by throwing out that jar.
>OTOH, it cost about 3 bucks, maybe.

Yes, you overreacted -- it's not like he brought home a jar of rat poison
labelled as peanut butter, after all. Just the same, though, I figure if I
want peanut butter, I should buy peanut butter, and if I want sugar and
vegetable oil in it, I can put them there myself.