Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
billb

Default Ascorbic acid sources

So if you take iron and let it rust it goes like this 2 Fe
> + O2 -> 2 FeO the iron lost two of its electrons and has oxidized to
> the Fe2+ state. Now if you heat that rust with hydrogen gas H2 you can
> REDUCE the oxidation number of the iron back to 0 and you get the iron
> metal back and water FeO + H2 -> Fe + H2O. That is reduction.

Well now I understand it.

I had that back in chemistry and i think when i was told that oxidation
takes electrons away and reduction didn't, that made no sense so I made no
effort to understand it.

Been one of my lifelong problems, if it doesn't make sense on the surface, I
skip it.

So, if I get some hydrogen gas I can turn a rusty old pinball part back into
its former self?? This I wanna see.

--
billb
I don't care who you are fat man, get those reindeer off my roof.