Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc
sarah

Default Venison

EastneyEnder > wrote:

> My lovely butchers sold me (wish I could say it was on pain of torture but
> it wasn't)... about 1.5 pounds of diced stewing venison today. Not something
> they often have on offer, especially not at £1.99 GPB /pound.
>
> Especially not when one of the butchers winks at you & calls you "sexpot" or
> "darlin"... all part of my daily shopping experience & I wouldn't change it
> for the world, even in these PC-benighted days. Specially as they don't do
> stuff in kilos thank god.
>
> I was going to fling it (the venison!!!) in a pot and make a casserole /
> daube/ whatever but thought it deserved better as it's not daily fare here
> in "Olde Portsmouthe".
>
> I'm sure you all have some ideas, but how can I winkle them out of you?
> *in her bestest Carry On voice* tee hee

In the past I've cooked venison stew in red wine plus appropriate herbs,
flavoured to taste near the end of cooking with port and/or raspberry
jam and/or blackberry vinegar. Very nice, especially if made with a good
red (none of this 'cooking' wine; if you can't drink it, don't cook with
it! The most recent muntjac seemed likely to be a bit more delicate (I
hung it myself, so had some control); Some of that ended up in a stew
starting by browning onions with homemade salt pork (flavoured with
juniper and pepper), added thyme and a bay leaf. I don't think I added
any red wine, but the end result was a rich and delicious gravy strongly
flavoured with thyme. Lovely with dumplings.

Incidentally, I've always ended up spending ages picking deer hair out
of the packed venison stewing cuts; I don't know how so much gets in
there, but it's not nice and soft and relatively un-noticeable like cat
hair :-))

regards
sarah

--