Old 15-12-2005, 08:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc
sarah

Default Venison

EastneyEnder wrote:

My lovely butchers sold me (wish I could say it was on pain of torture but
it wasn't)... about 1.5 pounds of diced stewing venison today. Not something
they often have on offer, especially not at 1.99 GPB /pound.

Especially not when one of the butchers winks at you & calls you "sexpot" or
"darlin"... all part of my daily shopping experience & I wouldn't change it
for the world, even in these PC-benighted days. Specially as they don't do
stuff in kilos thank god.

I was going to fling it (the venison!!!) in a pot and make a casserole /
daube/ whatever but thought it deserved better as it's not daily fare here
in "Olde Portsmouthe".

I'm sure you all have some ideas, but how can I winkle them out of you?
*in her bestest Carry On voice* tee hee

In the past I've cooked venison stew in red wine plus appropriate herbs,
flavoured to taste near the end of cooking with port and/or raspberry
jam and/or blackberry vinegar. Very nice, especially if made with a good
red (none of this 'cooking' wine; if you can't drink it, don't cook with
it! The most recent muntjac seemed likely to be a bit more delicate (I
hung it myself, so had some control); Some of that ended up in a stew
starting by browning onions with homemade salt pork (flavoured with
juniper and pepper), added thyme and a bay leaf. I don't think I added
any red wine, but the end result was a rich and delicious gravy strongly
flavoured with thyme. Lovely with dumplings.

Incidentally, I've always ended up spending ages picking deer hair out
of the packed venison stewing cuts; I don't know how so much gets in
there, but it's not nice and soft and relatively un-noticeable like cat
hair :-))

regards
sarah

--