Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
hap

Default What is that funny Styrofoam Smell !?

Just started my first batch of Apple Melomel. Never made apple before,
never used honey before. I used a few different kinds of fresh apples
and blended them into a liquid, then strained the mess in nylon bags to
remove the most of the pulp. I'll never do that again. I started the
fermentation just as the weather got cold (that means under 60DegF here
in Louisiana). It took a little while for the fermentation to really
take off. I'm guessing due to the colder weather. About the time my
air lock started really bubbling, the stuff took a nose dive from
smelling like apple cider to apple styrofoam. I'm wondering if I left
it on the heavy lees too long (about 10 days) and this might be one
those H2S issues I've heard about or if it's just a smell from using
honey. Any insight/advice?

hap