Posted to rec.food.cooking
Chris

Default Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

"nancree" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
> corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a little
> butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike. Several hours.
> When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't eat it.
> Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based soup in a
> Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I described below (Lunch: Five dollars, etc.) how I made potato soup in the
crock pot. I didn't start it in the crock pot, I started it on the stove,
and once I had made the roux and added/heated the milk, I dumped it into the
crock pot along w/ the potatoes. Covered it and put it on low for two
hours, maybe a bit less. The soup had formed a little buttery-looking skin
on top by the time I got back, but it didn't look awful. I stirred it up,
and it was fine; it had thickened a bit during the two hours (it thickened
like crazy once the soup cooled...we had to thin it with a lot of milk to
reheat the leftovers) . This was the only time I've tried making a
milk-based soup in the crock pot.

Maybe it was the several hours thing that didn't work for your friend? Did
she have it on low or high? Not sure what went wrong? If it was me, I'd
check out a recipe site like allrecipes.com, and search for soup recipes w/
milk in a crock pot or slow cooker. See what their technique is, and check
the user reviews for tips/tricks/tweaks. Hope her next attempt is more
successful...what a bummer to come back from a hike all hungry for soup, and
find a curdled mess!

Chris