Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

Default Danny Gaulden's Big Drum Smoker Review

Rocky wrote:
> *Danny Gaulden’s Big Drum Smoker Review - KCBS BBQ Forum Blog - 12-06-2005*
>

> The BDS is a 16 gauge drum that is approximately 38 in. tall and 23 1/4
> in. wide. It has a high heat resistant paint and the color is black. It
> comes standard with one cooking grate that is 22 1/2 in. wide, a good
> thermometer, and a heavy duty charcoal ring that measures 6 in. deep and
> at least 13 in. in diameter. The ring is mounted on a grate that fits
> into the bottom of the pit and easily holds 12 lbs. or more of charcoal.
> The distance from the charcoal ring to the bottom of the the drum is
> about 2 1/4-2 1/2 in. for ash build-up. Distance from the bottom of the
> charcoal ring to the cooking grate is about 24 in. The lid is very
> tight fitting, plenty heavy, and has eight 1/2 in. vent holes precisely
> cut at even intervals. The bottom of the drum has three 7/8 in. air
> intakes with a plug for each one to regulate the draft. Pit weights
> about 72 lbs and comes in a shrink wrap. Lid is super secured. There
> was no damage (dings or dents) to my pit which was delivered by Fed-X.
> Pit can be easily transported from place to place by one person.
>

> Within 15 minutes of the first cook, I knew this pit was a winner. The
> smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER
> have I achived this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call
> it that ol' time "Grandpaw smell"... when many years ago men cooked meat
> over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from
> the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was
> unforgetable. It was a lot of work. Not saying that some folks don't
> do this today, but they are a dying breed. This pit accomplishes this
> ol' time flavor with little effort due to the fact that the cooking
> grate is located about 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal ring
> which allows direct cooking over the coals, plus the well thought out
> design from Mr. Richmond. There's a lot more to what he has created
> than just cutting a hole in the bottom and top of a barrel and calling
> it a good cooker.
>

> When loaded with 10-12 lbs. of charcoal, I was able to cook long cooking
> meats (brisket, butts, etc.) without refueling the fire, which could be
> a pain to some (taking off the cooking grate to add charcoal, wood
> etc.). With three or four good size chunks of wood (fist size or
> larger), I used three pecan "mini" logs about 2- 2 1/2 in. in diameter
> and 6 in. long, the smoke never ran out. I was skeptical about this
> aspect, but it kept on smokin. After the meat came off and the fire
> diminished, the only thing left was a couple of the pecan logs that were
> nearly burned up, but not completely. So the smoke keeps going for a
> long cook when done properly with no additional wood needed. The pit
> was still up to cooking temperature after my cook was done. I got about
> a 10 hour burn, or longer, on 10-12 lbs. of charcoal with wood chucks at
> [...]

Thanks for the detailed review Rocky, guess I'll go out an buy me a drum
for say $7, 2 grills at home depot for about $30 smacks, an a few
dollars for nuts and bolts, then I'll be cooking as good as everyone
else that paid hundreds for your cooker.

Warmest Regards,
Piedmont