Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Default Fresh produce for summer

Sheldon replied to David Hare-Scott:

>> We are now waiting with baited (!) breath for eggplant, tomatos

> *Bated* breath... fish have baited breath

<snip>
> You need to get yourself a composter, can't garden without it.
>
> This is the one I have, very well made, only one I've seen with a 25yr
> warranty, and works very well. I've tried others but none have lasted
> more than a few years... the tumbling kind are the worst. I've been
> using this one I think 12 years now, still as good as new. Produces
> about 40 gallons (that's 8 five gal contractor pails full) of
> exceptionally rich humous twice each year.

I don't believe your composter would do a very good job making humous.

From dictionary.com:

humous
n: a thick spread made from mashed chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and
garlic; used especially as a dip for pita; originated in the Middle East
[syn: hummus, humus, hommos, hoummos]

humus
n. A brown or black organic substance consisting of partially or wholly
decayed vegetable or animal matter that provides nutrients for plants and
increases the ability of soil to retain water.

Bob