Posted to rec.food.baking
jacqui{JB}

Default CONVERT RECIPE MEASUREMENTS : ENGLISH-METRIC, METRIC-ENGLISH

"Rowbotth" > wrote in message

> The differences won't matter if you stick one unit
> and stay with it. If you use Metric for the first
> measurement, use it all the way through the recipe
> and you will be OK. You will only get into trouble
> if you use both units in the same recipe.

I don't think that's the point of the post. For instance, I have cookbooks
from all over the world; some are in metric, the majority are not. It's
useful to know that a US pint is different from a UK pint (16 versus 20
ounces), or that a Japanese "cup" (as used in Nobu Matsushita's book -- and
at least he mentions the difference!) is closer to six ounces than eight.
My Danish husband's mother was a cook and I have a number of her cookbooks
and handwritten recipes, all written pre-metric conversion. I need to know
that Danish pounds are not the same as US pounds and that Danish teaspoon,
children's spoon and tablespoon are different than US teaspoon and
tablespoon measurements. My Voss oven is calibrated in Celsius, rather than
Fahrenheit; I darn well better be able to find or do the conversion before I
put a cake in the oven!

I think you get the point. I agree that keeping to one measuring system
within a recipe is a good thing. Conversion is, however, sometimes a
necessary thing.

Now if someone could tell me if the 15ml versus 20ml per tablespoon is the
only difference between US and pre-metric Australian measurements, I'd be
thrilled.

-j