Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Ascorbic acid sources

wrote:
> I couldn't google this info..Has anyone ever used "Fruit Fresh" as
> their source of ascorbic acid and oxidation reduction/prevention?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim L.

I have added Fruit Fresh to my must before I ferment. Can't find it
anymore. Now I use crystaline Vit C from Trader Joe's -- got a big
botlle of that, should last me a long time. Most people prefer to add
acid in the form of acid mix. The acidity of Vitamin C seems to fade
during fermentation, I'm guessing the yeast are eating it, which is why
I like to use it early in the fermentation. If you search the web,
you'll find some references to using ascorbic acid to prevent oxidation.