Posted to rec.food.cooking
D.Currie

Default Cuisinart Copper

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
newssDlf.7878$567.1157@trnddc01...
> "D.Currie" > wrote:
>> Tuesday Morning has a sale on the Cuisinart pots with the copper
>> exteriors. Anybody got any experience with them? They have some good
>> reviews, but my hesitation is the copper exterior coating. I use my pots,
>> I don't hang them up as decorations, and I don't want to spend more time
>> cleaning the copper than I do cooking with the pots.

> Funny, but if you go to the Cuisinart web site
> (http://www.cuisinart.com/), they currently don't list any such product.
> Perhaps they have discontinued it.

That's the kind of store Tuesday Morning is. They sell closeouts from stores
and manufacturers, and sometimes the sales are pretty good. If you're the
type who has to have the latest and greatest, it's not for you, but for many
things, I don't need next year's model, last yeat's is fine.

> My guess without seeing it first hand is the copper contributes very
> little to the responsiveness of the pan, and is only there for looks. The
> aluminum core is what provides the conductivity. I suspect if you look
> closely at the edge of the pan, you will see a very thin copper layer over
> a thick aluminum core, with another thin (good in this case) stainless
> layer on the inside.

Well, my other choice would be a stainless pan with an aluminum core, so the
responsiveness of the copper isn't such an issue. If it performs as well as
that, I'm fine.

> This cookware seems similar to All Clad's "Cop-R-Chef" line, where the
> outer copper layer is essentially for decoration. All Clad did eventually
> come out with a line with a true thick copper core, called "Copper Core",
> which is the most expensive line they sell.

Yep.

> It would seem you would get very little performance benefit from the
> copper layer this cookware, and you're making a tradeoff in higher
> maintenance for the look, especially if you chose to keep it polished. I
> have a fair amount of solid copper cookware, but I like the multicolored
> look copper gets from age and heat. I don't clean (as in polish) it that
> often. I also have even more fully clad aluminum core cookware.
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

I doubt I'll polish it; i don't mind if it darkens. I use my cooking
equipment, I don't put it on display.

But with the sale, it's cheaper than similar stainless/aluminum models, so
it's sounding like it's a good deal. They had a couple left yesterday. I'm
going to stop by today and see if they'll let me take one out of the box to
see if I like the feel of it. That's just as important as the cleaning
issue, or maybe more so.

Thanks for the input.

Donna