hahabogus

Default REC: Spaghetti - Spaghetti Bravissimo

FERRANTE > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:18:31 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
>>I haven't made this for a while, but loved it when I did.
>>
>>{ Sort of Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>>
>>Spaghetti Bravissimo
>>
>>Recipe By: posted to r.f.cooking by Barb Schaller, 2-28-04
>>Serving Size: 4-6
>>Preparation Time: 0:00
>>Categories: Entrees
>>
>>Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
>>1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
>>8 oz. pkg long spaghetti (not thinner than vermicelli)
>>4 1/2 cups water
>>1 # lean ground beef
>>1/2 tsp. oregano
>>1/2 tsp. basil
>>1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
>>1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
>>1 can tomato sauce (8 oz.)
>> Salt and pepper to taste
>>
>>Add soup mix and spaghetti to boiling water and cook until noodles are
>>tender; do not drain. Brown meat in skillet and stir in remaining
>>ingredients, combine with noodles; heat through. Will thicken on
>>standing. Serves 6?

> This sounds good, but I have a few questions to be sure I know what I
> am doing.
>
> Is the 4 1/2 cups of water enough to cook the spaghetti? It does not
> seem like enough water for the noodles to "roll." Do you break it up
> and cook in a skillet?
>
> When browning the meat, I take it you do that in another skillet and
> then add the end product to the other skillet with the noodles? Sorry
> if this question sounds dumb, but I don't know a lot about cooking and
> again, I want to make sure this is done correctly.
>
> Lastly, I enjoyed your recipes.
>
> Mark
>

>> ‹‹‹‹‹
>>Notes: Source: I think I didnąt use that much water, since it doesnąt
>>get drained. An oldie from the Minneapolis newspaper. Pretty darned
>>tasty stuff! Easy to make! May give you gas. Seasoning mixture can be
>>adjusted to taste; may add fresh mushrooms to meat while browning, if
>>desired.
>>

>>Per serving (excluding unknown items): 787 Calories; 49g Fat (54%
>>calories from fat); 49g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 170mg Cholesterol;
>>2706mg Sodium
>>Food Exchanges: 6 Lean Meat; 7 1/2 Vegetable; 6 Fat
>>_____

I'm not Barb...but yes it is enough water to cook the noodles...and Yes 2
skillets , but better would be 1 largish saucepan or a high sided 14 ich
fry pan (for noodles) and 1 frying pan to brown the meat. This isn't fine
dinning...but it is tasty. Break the noodles if you want. I just let the
water soften them and kinda force them into the boiling soup water with a
wooden spoon or whatever.

Also I add one yellow onion sliced, minced garlic and if the moods right a
chopped bell pepper. Other optionals include mushrooms and/or parsley.

The starch from the noodles will somewhat help to thicken the sauce.

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.