Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Steve Calvin

Default Grill/Smoker????

robrjt wrote:
> Some are designed for that use. Setting the back burner of my Genesis
> to its low setting 190F. I left it on for a weekend, still had gas
> left, and the temp was 190 as it was 2 days earlier...
> Had a Bandera, it was a mess. Very diff to clean, crudely made. Found
> the weber smoker attachment about $70 to smoke just as good, get nice
> smoke ring and I've smoked dozens of delicious brisket and some of the
> best smoked trout I've tasted. I've been using a genesis for the last
> 14 yrs. It maintains a set temp very well. I use a DCS grill for
> grilling. The weber for eveything else, including a 23 lb stuffed bird
> last month.
> I agree there are prob more efficient smokers. But put that weber
> smoker access on a genesis, and it works great.

Well, I'm not sure who you're replying too given that you
chose to not include any of the prior post but given the
"gist" of your post, I'll "assume" that it's a reply to my
post earlier.

You're absolutely right. It will work fine. Until you do
enough ribs and brisket (assuming that you're really smoking
them at around 225-250dF) and the bottom of the grill builds
enough grease to catch on fire. You'll understand using the
right equipment for the proper job when that happens to you,
as it did to me.

Trust me, it *will* happen unless you scrape the bottom of
the Weber out after about 2 or 3 uses as a "smoker" which
it's not. The "smoker" attachment works ok to give a hint
of smoke to grilling but I'd still advise against using it
to do any amount of real smoking.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.