Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Overfiend

Default Peanut brew?

Here's something bizzare I heard today.

I was at my local homebrew store, and the woman there said that a man who
bought from there regularly filled the bottom half-inch of his gallon
fermenter with peanuts, 500g sugar, high alcohol gervin yeast and let it
ferment for a month. Apparently this makes neat alcohol which he adds spirit
concentrates to (vodka, scotch etc)

I'm not planning to make it in a hurry (not so good when you have a couple
of friends with nut allergies), but is that possible? How is it possible?
Are there any advantages to making it that way?

It roused my curiosity, I didn't think nuts had much, if any, sugar in them.

Paul