Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba38

Default Killer Gingerbread Recipe

Spitzmaus wrote:

> Here 'tis, but don't expect a yuppified take on the original. This is an
> old-fashioned, down-home, no-crystallized-ginger-as-ingredient,
> knock-your-socks-off gingerbread. I promise . . .

Sounds good to me!!! Thank you very much for typing it up and sharing it
sidenote: I love crystallized ginger and use it to make this KILLER
coffee cake which ALWAYS gets raves. Try it!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pear Ginger Coffee Cake

Recipe By : Penzeys (Early Summer 2003) Catalog
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Breakfast Cakes

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour -- sifted
1 1/2 cups pears, peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2" cube
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar -- (mixed my own)
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger -- finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 glass pan and set aside.
Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk and set aside
Cream the shortening, salt and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add
the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Alternately add the buttermilk and flour to the mixing bowl, beating
well after each addition.
Fold in the pears and pour into greased pan. Mix together the cinnamon
sugar and chopped cystallized ginger. Sprinkle evenly over the top of cake.
Bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.