Posted to rec.food.cooking
hob

Default Baking soda and baking powder. Some question

"Pandora" > wrote in message
> I know that yeast derives from beer and it is generalli used for the

bread
> and pizza dough rising.
> But what about baking soda and baking powder. Are they the same thing or

are
> they different? In this late case, which are the differences between them?
> When do you use one and when the other?
> Can I replace baKing soda with backing powder and viceversa?

no, with an exception -

baking soda is sodium bicarbonate - a base which reacts with acids

most US baking powder is sodium bicarbonate, sodium aluminum sulfate, and
monocalcium phosphate - agents that give off gases at differing conditions.
The agents are mixed with cornstarch and calcium phosphate to mix and
react evenly in the end mixture.

The exception: if a recipe calls for neutralizing an acid and the recipe
will "cook out" the other agents, baking powder can be substituted for
baking soda
(basically, by slowly adding just enough baking powder at a time so that
you can tell when it stops fizzing when a bit more added to the acid mix).