Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

Default Where can I buy a delicious fruitcake?

On Wed 30 Nov 2005 11:28:16p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
jacqui{JB}?

> "ggg" > wrote in message
>
>> My father made the best fruitcake, light with french
>> brandy and the citron tasted great. I tried making
>> it and the citron tasted terrible. I just want to buy one for now -
>> anyone know of a good merchant?

> Well, some years ago (back in ... ye ghods, 1980? ACK!), when I was in
> high school band, we sold very good fruitcakes as a fund-raiser. The
> original Texas Manor Fruicakes are available online now and, if they're
> anything as good now as they were then, I'd say it's a pretty nice
> fruitcake -- not too dark, not too light.
>
> http://www.yahoocake.com/cgi-bin/yah...ml?id=pz7N3eMB

Wow, my high school band sold these, too. I was a senior in 1963, so you
can tell how long it's been since I've tasted these. Although my mom made
her own fruitcake, we also bought at least one of these each year. They
were wonderful.

Thanks for reminding me!

> ObDisclaimer: I haven't ordered from this vendor, nor have I tasted this
> fruitcake in 25 years, so I can't personally vouch for either. Sorry.
>
> When you're ready to make your own fruitcake again, you might consider
> making your own candied peel, if you can't find anything decent in the
> stores. I'm on a constant quest, myself, to find candied peel in
> "caps," rather than small pieces, to see if it really is "better" (for
> whatever quantity of better there is where candied peel is concerned
> ).

I've been making my own fruitcake for a long time, but I may just try a
Texas Manor Fruitcake soon, if no other than nostalgic reasons. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*