Posted to rec.food.baking
jacqui{JB}

Default Where can I buy a delicious fruitcake?

"ggg" > wrote in message

> My father made the best fruitcake, light with french
> brandy and the citron tasted great. I tried making
> it and the citron tasted terrible. I just want to buy
> one for now - anyone know of a good merchant?

Well, some years ago (back in ... ye ghods, 1980? ACK!), when I was in high
school band, we sold very good fruitcakes as a fund-raiser. The original
Texas Manor Fruicakes are available online now and, if they're anything as
good now as they were then, I'd say it's a pretty nice fruitcake -- not too
dark, not too light.

http://www.yahoocake.com/cgi-bin/yah...ml?id=pz7N3eMB

ObDisclaimer: I haven't ordered from this vendor, nor have I tasted this
fruitcake in 25 years, so I can't personally vouch for either. Sorry.

When you're ready to make your own fruitcake again, you might consider
making your own candied peel, if you can't find anything decent in the
stores. I'm on a constant quest, myself, to find candied peel in "caps,"
rather than small pieces, to see if it really is "better" (for whatever
quantity of better there is where candied peel is concerned ).

-j