Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julia Altshuler

Default what is Groviera Cheese ?

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

> Groviera is the italisan translation of Gruyère.

This makes more sense on an Italian restaurant menu than my guess that
it was the misspelling of a Greek cheese.

I went back to have a look at which would make more sense from a
flavor/texture point of view, and I can't decide. The Gruyere would be
creamier texture, more meltable which might make more sense for a leek
soup where the Graviera would be more of grating cheese which would
still work for the soup. The Gruyere would be a stronger, nuttier
flavor (provided the restaurant owners were able to get a good one--
they vary mightily) where the Graviera would be milder and could still
bring out the flavors of the leeks very nicely.

O.K., here's my new theory: the menu makers couldn't decide between
Italian Gruyere and Greek Graviera so they purposely made it ambiguous.
That way they could serve either one on a given day depending on their
mood and what was available at the market.

--Lia