Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

I think I should explain something to you, Dutch, because
I don't think you understand exactly where I am coming
from. If I were to begin eating meat again -- highly
unlikely -- I would buy factory-farmed meat because it
is cheaper and more convenient. I don't eat meat or buy
animal products partly because I find the methods of production
for most such products today nauseating. But, more important,
I don't buy animal parts if I can avoid them because I believe
it is unethical to use animals as products, as commodities,
as things to be bought and sold like plants or inanimate objects.
It's the same reason I wouldn't buy an animal from a pet
store. Animals are individuals who own their own lives and
it is immoral, I believe, to buy and sell them or their parts.
That is why the CD argument is only a very secondary one for me.
It doesn't address my basic reason for being a vegan.