Posted to rec.food.cooking
Joseph Littleshoes

Default Beer-Cheese Soup

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:35:44 GMT, Joseph Littleshoes wrote:
>
> > Having more or less given up any regular consumption of beef i do

> miss
> > my beef stock. I used to make SUCH a French onion soup. I would

> take
> > several days to make and clarify the rich beef stock just for

> French
> > onion soup. Chicken or fish stock for French onion soup just don't

> > work, at least for me.
> >

> I make a dynamite French Onion soup too. I oven roast bones (multiple
>
> types) and vegetables... and simmer them overnight (10 hours or more).
>
> I've never considered clarifying the stock because all those onions
> and the bread/cheese topping obscures any clarity.
>
> Question: What method do you use to clarify the stock?

Sorry for not replying sooner SF, i wanted to see if i could find a set
of better written instructions, but alas no luck, the basic process is
much as you describe except the basic stock is made without veggies,
once you have the meat stock that is started in cold water and intensely
skimmed and filtered & 'decanted' a filtered stock will have particulate
matter that gets through even the finest filter and the stock must be
left to rest so the particulate matter sinks to the bottom and the stock
can be carefully poured off.

Then add any other veggies for flavouring, but if you want a unclouded
stock it is important not to let the veggies cook so long they begin to
dissolve.

Back in the day i followed a French recipe that called for beef flesh as
well as bones to make the stock with as well as veal and raw ham.
Flavoured with carrots, onions and a 'bouquet garni' of parsley, thyme,
bay and garlic.

The oven browned bones are started in the stock pot, then after about 12
hours of skimming and simmering the meat is cut into large chunks and
browned in hot fat. This is then covered with some of the prepared
stock, and allowed to boil down to a glaze, the process is repeated 2 or
3 times then the rest of the stock added, brought to a boil, constantly
skimmed and allowed to simmer for 12 - 15 hours.

There is a technique for using egg whites to clarify stock but the few
occasions i have tried to use it was to no avail, either i don't have
proper instruction or its not a very good technique.
---
JL