Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default What's the funniest or worst restaurant experience you'd had so far?

Dee Randall wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>> We went to this restaurant that had ribs as a theme ... not a
>>> rib joint, actually, but a restaurant. I don't remember what we
>>> ordered, that was some time ago, but I guess we ordered an
>>> appetizer, dinner, dessert, there was a bread basket, couple of
>>> rounds of drinks. I think that pretty well describes it.
>>>
>>> Sat down, ordered drinks, over came the drinks, ordered the
>>> appetizer, that came along with the requisite little dishes for each
>>> of us, then came dinner. Along with another drink, no doubt.
>>>
>>> Now, to describe the setting; we were sitting at a table for two,
>>> to say, not as large as my desk. Rectangular and not much wider
>>> than a person on the sitting sides. (laugh ... did I mangle that
>>> badly enough?)
>>>
>>> Drinks, appetizer, bread plates, salad ... this was really a
>>> stretch, but we got everything to fit. Next came dinner. Well,
>>> the waitress didn't
>>> take anything away with her. As in empty plates/glasses. Luckily
>>> or fortuitously, there was a ledge that the table butted up against,
>>> it held a large planter. Enough room so that we started stacking
>>> dishes on it.
>>>
>>> Well, we didn't order THAT much food, but everything came on a
>>> separate plate, ribs on one plate, vegetable in a little bowl, etc.,
>>> you get the idea.
>>>
>>> We were laughing our ass off, I swear, we left after paying the
>>> bill, you didn't even have a place to put the thing down so you
>>> could sign
>>> it. None of this seemed to faze the waitress AT ALL.
>>>
>>> Honest, I was waiting for Peter Funt to come over and say we'd
>>> been had.
>>>
>>> nancy

>> This is why, if I owned a restaurant, there wouldn't be any duces
>> (tables for two) except in the bar area where most likely only an
>> appetizer would be
>> served along with drinks.
>>
>> Part of a good servers' job is to pre-bus the table - remove empty
>> bowls, plates, glassware. God, where do you have to to go get good
>> help these days?!
>>
>> Jill

> I don't know how many times I've been served my food and after the
> person walked away, I realized I didn't have fork, knife and spoon.
> ARRRGHHHH. A normal response if you ask another person is that they
> will "have to locate" your server. Then when the utensils are
> delivered, you put up with the server's apology (if there is one).
> At my last dinner out where the food was wonderful and the waiter was
> good natured, there were no napkins, so we got up and got them off
> another table instead of 'harrassing' the wait person for napkins,
> we didn't want to break the spell.
> Dee Dee

I wrote about that diner in Jonesboro, where they were running around
hawking hot beans with ham (not very good ones, either) and fried okra, and
flinging rolls without giving us a plate to put the roll on. But just TRY
to get condiments. John's hamburger was dry as the Sahara and all he wanted
was some mustard... you'd have thought he'd asked the server to empty the
safe. She was just plain grumpy. I still don't know why the place was
always packed.

Jill