Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

Dutch wrote:

>>What is your definition of factory farming?

>>Mainly, an operation in which the basic biological needs,
>>including psychological or emotional needs, of animals
>>are sacrificed for the producer's profit or convenience.

> You have defined factory farming as inhumane, no wonder you think it is. I
> would have thought that an objective definition would be by number of
> animals.

Not so much number of animals _per se_ as the technological
methods (like those of a factory) used to care for them.
Numbers will have an effect. When you start getting thousands
of chickens in one building, it's pretty much impossible to
provide humane living conditions for them. But a small
backyard flock can also be badly treated as a lower level
of technology. The term "factory farming" is more specific:
it refers to large-scale commercial production which is
also inhumane in its methods.