Posted to rec.food.cooking
C. James Strutz

Default What's the funniest or worst restaurant experience you'd had so far?

"Rob" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Irrespective of the location, what's been your funniest or worst
> restaurant experience/s you've had so far - as in the food and / or
> service being terrible, or the food and service being fine and very
> good, but something else amusing occurred.

My now ex-wife had just finished graduate school and had accumulated enough
frequent flyer miles from interviewing that we could fly to Bermuda for
free. We changed planes in Tampa but a severe thunderstorm delayed the last
leg of the flight into Bermuda. We finally arrived well after 1:00am only to
find that our bags didn't make the trip. After filing a claim with the
baggage department we caught the very last taxi out of the airport to our
destination way on the other end of the island. We arrived to find, not
unexpectedly, that the office of the cottage resort was closed. We slept for
awhile on some benches next to the bay.

In the very early morning hours, we decided to try to find cleaning people
or kitchen staff to let us into our cottage. We walked around to the front
of the office to find the front door was open and a carpet was dragged half
way out the door. It looked like cleaning people but my sixth sense told me
to watch for awhile from behind some bushes. We were in a different country
and everything seemed unusual. In the darkness we could barely make out
several people milling around while we heard one of them trying to start a
van that was parked outside the front door. They had a lot of difficulty
starting the van but they finally got it started and drove off. We emerged
from behind the bushes after we were sure they were gone and walked inside
the office. The place looked like a mess but it wasn't extraordinary for
cleaning people to move things around. We found the register on the front
desk, signed ourselves in, and made our way to the cottage where we crashed
in a real bed. We were so tired.

We called for room service for breakfast several hours later as we still had
on our traveling clothes from the day before and could not present ourselves
properly in a restaurant. Breakfast soon arrived and our server excitedly
told us about the robbery that had occured the night before. Some thieves
stole a large safe where guests' valuables were kept. We suddenly realized
that we had witnessed the whole thing! Needless to say, we spent the whole
morning at the police station giving our story. The police later found the
van, thanks to our description, burned out on a beach - the contents of the
safe were gone.

Long story short, all of our bags didn't arrive together. Our bag packed
with casual clothes arrived the next day but another bag of formal attire
hadn't shown up yet. We had been invited to dine with the owner/manager of
the resort who was also a senator in the Bermuda government, and his wife.
They were horrified and apologetic that we were subjected to such an
experience on our first night in Bermuda. Dinner at the exclusive resort was
semi-formal in traditional British style. We looked and felt like dregs
dressed in shorts and T-shorts but we had a very pleasant dinner with our
gracious hosts. They also sent us a bottle of their finest champagne that
evening.

The rest of the week was pleasant and uneventful (except for the
storm-damaged sailboat we had rented nearly sank as we sailed into the bay,
we bailed the whole way back). We remained anonymous as all of the other
guests talked of the bold robbery and the strange couple who had witnessed
it! :^)