Posted to rec.food.baking
Geoman1

Default Powder Sugar...w/Cornstarch?

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
.. .

> "jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> . dk...
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>> > Not all powdered sugar has cornstarch in it. That is
>> > particularly true in Europe.

>> It *is* particularly true in Denmark, where I can't get the damned stuff
>> without cornstarch (this is a major peeve, the lack of choice of staple
>> products). I can't determine whether it's the sugar itself which is

> somehow
>> more coarse or whether it's the cornstarch (where I'm placing my first

> bet)
>> that makes my uncooked frostings (butter, powdered sugar, flavoring)

> gritty.
>> But I haven't found a solution to it yet (beyond making a cooked-type
>> frosting, which I don't really want to do) and it really does irk me.

> My bet would be on the sugar making it gritty. Cornstarch is not gritty
> in
> itself and there is very little included in the sugar. Not all sugar is
> ground to the same coarseness. The sugar that I get at Sam's or Costco is
> not as fine as that sold at the cake supply store. I also don't think one
> can come close to producing very fine, uniform powdered sugar at home in
> the
> blender or food processor. I have tried and it doesn't work well.
> Perhaps
> if you have something akin to a Vitamix blender it works, but not with a
> generic home unit.

Just stopped in for a brief moment and read your post.

I heard and just tried making fine sugar in my Vita Mix. The sugar comes out
very very fine but still not that of cakes. The problem I had is to get the
sugar to travel into the center and recirculate you have to do at least four
cups at a time. It did a great job but not for 2 cups or less, at those
amounts the sugar begins to heat and smell like cotton candy :-)

Rich