Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Internal Temperature of Brisket

alan wrote:
> Since I got this remote probe themometer by Maverick, I thought I
> would try it out on the Brisket today and the Turkey tomorrow before
> deciding whether or not to keep it..
>
> However, I have no idea what temperature Brisket gets soft but not
> falling apart. I usually poke it with a fork. Is there a temperature
> that denotes that state? Right now after 2 hours and 15 minutes of
> cooking with the the first 25 minutes at 500 and the rest at 350, the
> themometer says 183 degrees. I know it's not even close to done yet.
> Have any of you used a themometer for Brisket to at least preventing
> forgetting about it and really nuking it to deaeth. I know that's
> hard with Brisket but it;'s not a bad idea to know a range at which
> you need to be careful.
>
> Now it's 186 degrees.

Brisket is cooked by tenderness, not temperature... stick a fork in it.

Anyway for dry roasting brisket 350ºF much too high a temperature,
it'll become dry and burn before it becomes tender... drop down to
275ºF, tent loosely with foil, and cook until fork tender, perhaps six
hours. Hopefully you didn't already cook it too long at that
temperature... oh, well... your shoes need resoling anyway.

Sheldon-q