Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Beach Runner

Default wife swap vegan episode

usual suspect wrote:

> [...]

> http://tinyurl.com/be2km
> http://tinyurl.com/8vxhd
> http://tinyurl.com/95a85
> http://tinyurl.com/ayg46
> http://tinyurl.com/arxlb
> http://tinyurl.com/byac3
>
>> The onus is on meat-eaters to demand humane conditions.

> For those who are concerned about such issues. Most consumers, though,
> will instead search for bargains when grocery shopping. They won't care
> if their pork chops came from Farmer A or Farmer B unless one costs more
> than the other.

>> Usually because of those very abominable conditions.

> Tell me what's abominable about the following:
> http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...AN_PigFarm.gif
> http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/undergrad/ag_eng16.jpg
> http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/ga...es/hogfarm.jpg
> http://www.ams.usda.gov/contracting/contract4.jpg
> http://tinyurl.com/be2km
> http://tinyurl.com/8vxhd
> http://tinyurl.com/95a85
> http://tinyurl.com/ayg46
> http://tinyurl.com/arxlb
> http://tinyurl.com/byac3

>> Which all vegans do not do.

> You sure as hell do, Karen. You wrote in another post this morning,
> "Vegetarians and vegans tend to be more aware..." You're the kind of
> snobby elitist prig I was think about when I wrote that.

>> It is not you who define the standard individuals measure themselves
>> against.

> I'm not defining standards. I explained the *vegan* standard. I briefly
> explained the norms in agriculture and synthetic textile manufacturing.
> I then demonstrated that vegans fall far short of their own standard.
>
>> I doubt any honest person sees himself as fulfilling his
>> ethical standards *perfectly* because that is not possible for human
>> beings. We are all imperfect, and most of us recognize that.

> This is irrelevant, Karen. The issue is whether vegan rhetoric deals in
> any meaningful way with reality. It doesn't. In its general terms,
> veganism doesn't even address the problem it wishes to solve because it
> recommends consumption of that which can cause more of the problem (dead
> animals) than existed when one still ate meat.

>>> I don't think meat-eaters, farmers, ranchers, researchers, etc., are
>>> washing their hands; they fully accept that animals die in the course
>>> of their consumption and/or work.

>> That does not make their actions right. To accept responsibility
>> for an action does not justify the action.

> It's your task to explain why their actions are "wrong." You've yet to
> do that.

>>> Aside from images of isolated cases of wanton animal cruelty which is
>>> already against the law (and, in many instances, the videos and
>>> images have been used to prosecute those particular cases), I've yet
>>> to see credible evidence that research, livestock production,
>>> farming, etc., is a widespread abuse of animals.

>> Then you have not looked or -- more likely -- have been willfully

And I suppose those look to you like traditional, healthy family farms.
Animals on concrete. Believe me, they only take their own self-serving
pictures in the best possible light.

As evidenced by my posting of your factory farmed turkeys versus what a
real turkey looks like. There is no comparison.

>> The reasons some laws have been
>> passed is because the abuses are and were widespread and disgusting.

> Ipse dixit. Many laws are changed because of emotive pressure put on
> legislators by a very small group of people. Emotive appeal is also to
> blame for what I originally thought was a decent measure in Florida a
> few years ago (voter initiative to ban swine gestation pens in that
> state). There weren't many pork producers in Florida in the first place
> (ranked 30th in pork production in the US), and, perhaps most
> importantly, there were only *two* farmers at the time the initiative
> passed who actually used those crates. It was an irrational attempt to
> amend the Florida constitution and its passage has caused Florida's
> legislature to toughen the process of amending their constitution by
> initiative.

It was passed because some people do care about how animals are treated
and wanted to make that statement.