Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

Dutch wrote:
> "Glorfindel" > wrote

>>Aside from the personal attack on me, you are correct. Efforts
>>should be made to decrease the number of collateral deaths in
>>large-scale vegetable farming also. Both are a side-effect
>>of modern technological methods in agriculture.

> Yet "veganism" addresses only one of these so-called "problems" while
> remaining utterly mute on the other.

Not always true, and irrelevant in any case.

Veganism/vegetarianism addresses a specific issue: the use of
animal products. It is not a complete philosophy of life, and
is not intended to be. Other aspects enter into consumers'
choices in other areas. You might as well attack dentists
for not addressing problems in the production of automobiles.
Those problems they address as individual consumers, but the
problems of production in that area are irrelevant to dentists
as dentists, just as issues of non-animal products are
irrelevant to vegans as vegans.