Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dave Smith

Default Turkey: Tom or Hen

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

> > I may be wrong, but I think the birds are sorted by size rather than
> > sex. A "hen" is smaller than a "tom", and either be male or female.
> >
> > The heavier the bird, the more meat you get per pound.

> No, a hen is actually a 'woman' turkey (I know, I know, what a stupid
> thing to say) and of course that makes the toms male. Most all turks
> sold in the store are toms because they do seem to have the larger
> breast. Hen turkeys can be had at the grocery stores but you may have
> to do a search at your market or request they order one for you.
>
> I've had both and not being a con-o-sewer I couldn't really tell any
> difference in the taste. Some say there is, but I couldn't distinguish
> any.

When all else fails, Google is you friend. From the University of Illinois
Turkey for the Holiday page:

A Hen or A Tom Turkey

Most experts agree that a hen turkey is a better buy than a tom. Hens are
generally weigh less than 16 pounds and a tom turkey is usually over 16
pounds. Toms are larger with larger bones and less edible portions. However,
age not gender is the determining factor where tenderness is concerned.