Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Default Beer-Cheese Soup

I can't find my original recipe, but it's very much like this one from
cooks.com. My comments as to what I remember doing differently are in
brackets.

Beer-Cheese Soup

1 c. carrots, chopped [grated]
1 c. celery, chopped [diced]
1 c. yellow onions, chopped [diced]
[I remember adding minced garlic, a couple of cloves]
2 tsp. peanut oil [I use butter to saute the veggies]
6 c. chicken stock [or broth]
1 c. Cheddar cheese, grated [2 cups, at least]
2 tsp. flour [I make a roux with 1 Tbs. butter/flour, a cup milk or half &
half, then melt the cheese in it, stirring constantly to make a thick cheese
sauce]
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
[sprinkle or two of sweet paprika]
pinch of dried tarragon leaves
1/8 tsp. Tabasco [start with a couple of dashes, add more to taste at the
table]
1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce [more like 1/2 tsp.]
1 (12 oz.) can beer

Saute the carrots, celery and onions [and garlic] in oil until lightly
browned [just tender]. Bring soup stock to a boil. Add vegetables and
simmer for 45 minutes [this might be too long unless you leave your veggies
fairly chunky]. Dredge the cheese in the flour and mix into the soup,
stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. [See my comments about
making a cheese sauce instead.] Keep stirring often until you serve. Add
the salt, pepper, mustard [tarragon, paprika], Tabasco and Worcestershire.
Finally add the beer and stir until all is hot.

[Serve cheese soup with a crisp salad if desired and hot crusty bread, or
topped with crispy croutons.]

Jill