Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Henye Tokaji??

Mark Lipton wrote:
> In an email today, Sam's advertises a 2000 5 Putts Tokaji from a
> producer named Henye for $27/500 mL. Anyone ever heard of this producer
> or can offer any comments about him/her? (poke, poke... Ian?)

I have not seen any tasting notes for Henye. It was not mentioned in
Decanter's supplement on Hungary published this year either. And they
included tasting notes for a few wines not available in the UK. In
general, the 2000 vintage was given a 5-star out of 5 rating-
"immensely rich, supple wines, but without the freshness of the 1990s".

Most of Decanter's recommended aszu wines were 6 Puttonyos - a few were
5. Most were the 1999 and 2000 vintages. The producers were Disznoko,
Janos Arvay, Kiralyudvar, Royal Tokaji, Szepsy, Crown Estates Szarvas,
Dobogo, Oremus, and Chateau Pajzos. Most were priced at 24 - 40 Pounds
in the UK. The 6P Szepsy 2000 was 89 Pounds for 40cl(I am just quoting
the size Decanter gave). Decanter picked out Istvan Szepsy, a native
Hungarian, as being perhaps the best current producer of Tokaji, and
this is reflected in the price of his wines. His family has been making
wine since the 16th century.