Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.food,rec.food.veg
usual suspect

Default I would like to convert from meat-eating diet to vegetarian.Anyone know of any good books, cookbooks?

Beach Runner wrote:
>>> I have heard that one can get all they need from a vegetarian diet. I
>>> know that vegetables, fruits and nuts are great sources for dietary
>>> needs. I would like to go on a 'whole foods' approach to the
>>> vegetables, because I have been told that microwaving vegetables gets
>>> rid of a lot of the vitamins and nutrients. Is that correct.
>>>
>>> Any help is greatly appreciated.

>> As far as cookbooks, my site
>> listed below has links to over
>> 700 free veg recipe websites.

> While there are people on this group that will attack you, read Dr. Dean
> Ornish and recognize you don't need meat.

Why don't you recognize that Ornish's work is with desperately unhealthy
individuals, and that healthy people needn't go to extremes to become
healthier?

> It will generally improve
> your attery health, reduce prostate cancer, and bowel cancer.

Ipse dixit and you're not even addressing the OP's concerns. You're too
daft to realize that. You retard.

As to your claims, a recent study points to the significance of
lifestyle factors in heart disease and adult-onset diabetes. The study's
author cites the following as beneficial:

Better habits could prevent 80% of heart disease, 90% of type 2
diabetes.

1. Stop smoking.
2. "Fairly modest shifts" in diet -- focusing on *types* of fats
and carbs rather than on fats and carbs without distinction.
3. Eat fish twice a week. (Vegans do NOT live longer.)
4. Get regular exercise.
5. Take a multi-vitamin.

See: http://tinyurl.com/9b4r6

One can eat meat and still live a full, healthy life. Nitwit.

> You will consume less pesticides.

Ipse dixit and false. One can eat a diet that includes lots of meat and
consume "less pesticides." One can avoid meat altogether and consume a
lot more pesticide than he did when he ate meat. You weird old geezer.

> Food will cost less.

Not necessarily, especially if the OP wastes money by paying premium
prices for organic produce, supplements (B12, etc.), etc.

> Soon a few people will write nasty notes after this, but I wish you the
> best of luck. Some good Yahoo Groups are Vegan Friends, or Vegan
> Weightlifers. I especially enjoy all the scientific studies on Vegan
> Weightlifters.

Can you name a "scientific study" on vegan weightlifters? Here's a pic
of a vegan bodybuilder:
http://tinyurl.com/8w9lj

> I greatly admire Scented Nector for staying with the cause.

"Cause" equals "fight." You're only applauding her effort for being a
true believer like you are and for tilting at windmills. Neither of you
deserves props for sticking to your guns when you've both been shown to
be utterly wrong.