Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Dutch

Default wife swap vegan episode

"RobDar" > wrote
> issue of cd's? not sure I am following....

cds = The collateral death and suffering caused to animals by various
processes, in the case of commercial agriculture, the use of machines for
ploughing, seeding, spraying and harvesting of crops, and the use of organic
and inorganic chemicals for the elimination of pests and weeds. The animals
harmed can be larger mammals like deer, gophers, and rabbits, also smaller
mammals such as mice and other rodents such as shrews, moles and voles. Then
there are ground birds, lizards, frogs, and in the case of poisoning, any
animal that predates on them. We may even consider bees, ants, spiders,
grasshoppers, worms, and other animals of that genre, vegans certainly
consider them in their frequent semi-conscious moral calculations. The
collateral death toll to animals in food production arguably dwarfs the
number of direct deaths of livestock in food production. This all means
that the diet of the typical (sub)urban vegan or vegetarian who shops in
supermarkets could easily be related to more animal death and suffering than
a family who subsists largely on hunting. These often ignored facts cast
doubt on the vegan thought process which concludes that consuming even a
small amount of animal "product" is a moral stain on one's character.

The vegan moral calculation is embodied in the following fallacy, called
"Denying the Antecedent":
1) Animal products cause animal suffering
2) I abstain from animal products, therefore
3) I don't cause animal suffering