Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Powder Sugar...w/Cornstarch?

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
. dk...
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> > Not all powdered sugar has cornstarch in it. That is
> > particularly true in Europe.

> It *is* particularly true in Denmark, where I can't get the damned stuff
> without cornstarch (this is a major peeve, the lack of choice of staple
> products). I can't determine whether it's the sugar itself which is

somehow
> more coarse or whether it's the cornstarch (where I'm placing my first

bet)
> that makes my uncooked frostings (butter, powdered sugar, flavoring)

gritty.
> But I haven't found a solution to it yet (beyond making a cooked-type
> frosting, which I don't really want to do) and it really does irk me.

My bet would be on the sugar making it gritty. Cornstarch is not gritty in
itself and there is very little included in the sugar. Not all sugar is
ground to the same coarseness. The sugar that I get at Sam's or Costco is
not as fine as that sold at the cake supply store. I also don't think one
can come close to producing very fine, uniform powdered sugar at home in the
blender or food processor. I have tried and it doesn't work well. Perhaps
if you have something akin to a Vitamix blender it works, but not with a
generic home unit.