Posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley

Default Powder Sugar...w/Cornstarch?

baker1 > wrote:

>I just picked up some C&H powdered sugar, which I've used for decades
>and realized there is cornstarch in it. Will this effect recipes? When
>a recipe calls for powdered sugar, does it presuppose there is
>cornstarch in it?

Yes. There's been cornstarch in powdered sugar for *years*, probably
since it became commercially available. (I remember asking my mom
about it 30+ years ago, so it's been that long.) It keeps the sugar
from caking. Modern recipes assume the cornstarch is there.

If you're doing historical baking or confectionary, it *might* affect
(note correct word usage) the end result. If you don't like the
result using purchased powdered sugar, you might try powdering your
own sugar. A friend of mine who does medieval confectionary powders
his own sugar, and says it's a lot of work, but for what he does it's
essential.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :