Posted to rec.food.drink
Tassilo v. Parseval

Default Drinking tips

[ posted and mailed ]

Also sprach beergurl:

> I recently started drinking, and margarita's seem to be my thing for
> the moment. Is there any specific way to drink it? How do you have the
> salt on rim of glass?

The Margarita is a not overly sweet medium drink and can thus be taken
before a dinner as an appetizer.

As for the salt rim, before pouring the drink into the glass twist the
rim in a quarter or slice of a lemon and then dip it into a saucer with
salt. Gently tap on the glass so that any surplus of salt falls off and
you get a distinct salt rim.

> Is margarita a ladies drink? Guys do drink it?

The legend says that the drink was invented 1936-ish by a hotel manager
for his girlfriend (named Margarita). On the other hand it's quite
potent alcohol-wise so ladies are advised to be careful with it. :-)

> I also like vodka with 7up (sprite) and lemon juice (or twist of
> lemon). What do you call this simple drink?

The closest would be Vodka Lemon which consists of Vodka and Bitter
Lemmon. Vodka, being an almost neutral liquor, is often used with only
one other ingredient. Many of these drinks don't really have a name.
There's also Caipirovka which is Vodka with squashed lime quarters (it's
a variation of a Caipirinha).

If you want something with a name that features lemon (which you seem to
like), consider a Gin Fizz. Gin with its strong juniper touch is just
perfect for lemon-based drinks:

2 oz Gin (Gordon's Dry Gin works well)
1 1/3 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
2/3 oz sugar syrup
1 spoon sugar (optional)

Shake well with ice cubes. Pour onto 5-6 ice cubes into a longdrink
glass and add some dahses of soda. Stir carefully. Drink with straws.

Tassilo
--
use bigint;
$n=71423350343770280161397026330337371139054411854 220053437565440;