Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
t4u

Default Cheap Darjeelings

Mårten Nilsson wrote:
> I've bought Twinings Darjeeling (loose) and I don't like it at all. I've
> also tried other cheap brands (lipton, I belive) and it was also worthless.
> This would lead me to the conclusion that I simply dont like darjeeling
> if it wasn't that I have also tried some First Flush from the teastore
> and it was not only good, it was nothing like the Twinings or Lipton
> varieties.
>
> So do I have a question? Is there some kind of standard Darjeeling or
> is it a very wide category? Can you expect anything from a tea bearing
> that name?

Martin,

I have been a fan of Darjeelings for years. The brands you mentioned
offer blended, rather bland teas for the mass market. You could try A.
C. Perchs Teehandel (www.perchs.dk) in Copenhagen. Henning Ravn and his
wife Annelise run a classic old European teashop that can supply you
with authentic, quality Darjeeling teas. The site is in Danish, German
and English. I can't guarantee you will like Darjeeling tea but what
you get from him will be authentic. You can judge from there.

First Flush Darjeelings tend to be floral, aromatic, light bodied and
piquant/astringent. The Second Flush teas have darker colored liquor,
are a bit sweeter and have a more pronounced and deeper 'muscatel
grape' overtone. For those not experienced with Darjeeling teas I would
suggest Second Flush or Autumnal (less pronounced flavor). If they are
too astringent for you you can try using 180 degree water. I hope this
helps.

Richard