Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
DPM

Default Cheap Darjeelings

"Mårten Nilsson" > wrote in message
> I've bought Twinings Darjeeling (loose) and I don't like it at all. I've
> also tried other cheap brands (lipton, I belive) and it was also

worthless.
> This would lead me to the conclusion that I simply dont like darjeeling
> if it wasn't that I have also tried some First Flush from the teastore
> and it was not only good, it was nothing like the Twinings or Lipton
> varieties.
>
> So do I have a question? Is there some kind of standard Darjeeling or
> is it a very wide category? Can you expect anything from a tea bearing
> that name?

Mårten,

Darjeeling is probably my favorite tea, and I buy a lot of it over the
course of a year. But as others have said, unless you buy "estate" grown
tea you're likely to get plonk.

I suggest you try to find second flush tea from estates like Makaibari ,
Margaret's Hope, Jungpana, Arya and Puttabong. Makaibari , in particular
produces wonderful tea - I've bought them for years and never had a bad one.
I'm guessing you live in Sweden from your domain; look for online vendors in
Germany - they get some of the best Darjeeling on the market. If after
trying Makaibari you still don't like it then you just don't like
Darjeeling.

Regards,
Dean