Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Default Crock Pot Recipes ?

> Marcella Peek wrote:
>
> Here's a slow cooker enchilada recipe. I would just
> leave out the meat...

I substitute bison, ground turkey, or venison for
recipes that call for beef.

> and add more veggies, use soy cheese or skip it too.

I'll probably just skip the cheese entirely. I'm not a
fan of soy products.

> € 1 pound ground beef
> € 1 cup chopped onion
> € 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
> € 16 ounces kidney beans -- rinsed and drained
> € 15 ounces canned black or pinto beans --
> rinsed and drained
> € 10 ounces diced tomatoes and green chiles --
> undrained
> € 1/3 cup water
> € 1 teaspoon chili powder
> € 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
> € 1/2 teaspoon salt
> € 1/4 teaspoon pepper

I'll substitute chili powder for the black pepper.

> € 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
> € 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
> € 6 flour tortillas

And I'll substitute corn tortillas for the wheat tortillas.

> In a skillet, cook beef, onion, and green bell pepper
> until beef is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
> Add the next 8 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce
> heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Combine
> cheeses. In a 5-quart crockpot, layer about 3/4 cup
> beef mixture, one tortilla, and about 1/3 cup cheese.
> Repeat layers. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7
> hours or until heated through.

Sounds delicious.

> I just bought a magazine at the grocery store. It's
> called "Fix it and forget it slow-cooker magic".
> There is a section on meatless entrees as well as
> some seafood recipes. Might be worth looking for
> near you.

Thanks, Marcella, I'll check it out.

+ + + +
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Electronic Multi-Instrumental Tone Scientist
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
http://rateyourmusic.com/view_albums/artist_id_is_25350