Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking,alt.support.diabetes,rec.food.cooking
TODD TAMANEND CLARK

Default Crock Pot Recipes ?

> Julie Bove wrote:
>
> I've found that the crockpot works best for things
> like meat, soups and stews. You can do beans
> in the crockpot, but you have to first bring them
> to a boil on the stove. And it's best to do them
> without any seasonings until they get soft. If you
> add things like tomatoes before they are soft,
> they can get tough.
>
> You can make a nice soup by starting with some
> tomato juice or vegetable juice. Or you can use
> a combination of vegetable broth and chopped
> tomatoes (canned or fresh). Start with whatever
> low carb veggies you like. I'm partial to green or
> wax beans, onions, celery and carrots. Leafy
> vegetables such as spinach should be added at
> the end of the cooking time because they take
> less time to cook. Add whatever seasonings
> you like, such as salt, pepper, parsley, bay leaf
> (remove before serving), or other herbs.

Some of my favorite seasonings are chili powder,
chives, garlic powder, honey, liquid smoke, onion
powder, paprika, sage, salt, and walnut extract.

> I like Italian seasoning. Just be sure not to add
> too much liquid. You need to leave several inches
> clear at the top because as the vegetables cook
> they'll give off liquid.
>
> You can add carby things to this if your diet allows.

Only in moderation.

> Dried beans are best cooked first before adding.
> Rice and pasta should also be cooked separately
> so they don't soak up too much of the cooking liquid.
> Add these things towards the end of cooking. Other
> things like peas, corn, or potatoes can be added at
> the beginning. Cook on low for 6-8 hours and you'll
> have a yummy soup! Taste before serving and add
> more seasonings if needed.
>
> A favorite of mine prior to the diabetes diagnosis was
> bean/corn chili. I still eat it now sometimes, but in
> limited amounts. Simply take three cans of beans
> (different kinds), one can of corn, and a large jar of
> salsa.
>
> Since your crockpot is so large, you may have to
> double these amounts.

I bought a larger one because I have six offspring (four
adults and two minors) plus guests.

> These things are already cooked, so they'll only have
> to heat for a couple of hours. Heat them through on
> low.

Thanks for all the great advice, Julie.

> Serve over a bed of rice if you can have that many
> carbs. I don't do the rice.

I eat wild rice, which is really a seed and not actually
a true rice. One time I accidentally ate some white
rice in a store bought Mexican skillet dish that one of
my sons prepared, and it spiked my blood glucose
reading into the stratosphere. I don't like the taste of
rice anyway, so I don't miss it.

I also avoid pastas made from wheat and use the ones
that are made from corn and quinoa instead.

> Top with things like cheese (if you can eat it)...

Informing the newsgroups of what dairy products do
to my system would be more information than most
readers would want to know. Suffice it to say, Native
American digestive tracts evolved for thousands of
years without dairy products prior to the Spanish
conquistadores bringing cows to the Americas.

I also boycott cow products because of cattle
herding's negative impact on the environment, as well
as the negative impact on human cholesterol control.

> ... fresh chopped cilantro, onions, avocado, peppers,
> or whatever you like. I often add some chopped
> onions to this as it cooks because I love onions!

Mayan onions are especially delicious!

= = = =
TODD TAMANEND CLARK
Lyricist/Composer/Arranger/Producer/Graphic Artist/
Vocalist/Synthesist/Guitarist/Percussionist/Flutist
The Monongahela River, Turtle Island
http://tinyurl.com/5uu5c