Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michael O'Connor

Default Cigarettes and Alcohol Addiction

Fortunately, the alcholism bug skipped me; most of my ancestors were
alcoholics and I figured the best way to avoid it was to drink very
seldomly. I might have one drink a month, and most of the time that I
drink is when I have to fly.

I was a longtime smoker, and managed to quit smoking a couple years
ago. The only way I was able to quit was by chewing nicotine gum, and
I still haven't been able to get this monkey off my back. If I quit
chewing the gum I'll start smoking again, as I found when I tried to
quit the gum on numerous occasions. Even if I have to chew it for the
rest of my life it is a worthwhile trade-off to avoid lung cancer,
emphysema, etc.