Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg

Default Brining a turkey

rip wrote:

> I've never brined a turkey before, but am thinking about giving it a
> try. My question is that I read somewhere that you should not stuff a
> brined bird. Is that true? Is so why?

Brining itself has nothing to do with it. Stuffing a bird
can be a problem for a few reasons.

Leaving hot stuffing inside a bird could be safety problem.
Always cool the stuffing before putting it in the bird.

The other issue often raised is that by the time the stuffing
reaches the minimum safe temperature, the meat, particularly
the white meat, may be overcooked. I haven't found this to
be a big problem. I use a thermometer and when the core
temp where the stuffing is hits 160 F, the white meat is
just short of 170 F. That works fine for me.