Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Nori snacks

Moira de Swardt wrote:
> "Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in message
>

> I've made sushi rice a few times in order to make California rolls,
> of which I am very fond. Works out to be a very economical starter
> for a summer dinner party for 8. Anyway, one of the tricks is the
> rapid cooling of the rice. I also use rice vinegar instead of rice
> wine and leave out the soy sauce. I wonder how that changes the
> flavour?

I seldom use salt in cooking - when I do, I use what I call Zulu salt
(It says 'Lo Salt' on the bottle), so soy sauce is a bit of a salty
novelty for me.

> For the rolls I use smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber. With the
> usual dips. Not very enterprising, but it works for even the least
> adventurous guests without boring those who like sushimi.

All very nice. I should get some cucumber, that improves the texture nicely.

--
A society should be judged not by how it treats its outstanding
citizens but by how it treats its criminals. -- Fydor Dostoevsky