Posted to soc.culture.south-africa,rec.food.cooking
Moira de Swardt

Default Nori snacks

"Peter H.M. Brooks" > wrote in message

> I took sushi rice, a few handfuls, added three times their volume

in
> water, some strong Japanese rice wine, a dash or two of soy sauce

and
> gave it fifteen minutes in the microwave (five on megahot, ten on

level
> two). Out came a nicely glutinous but separate rice mixture that I

put
> in the 'fridge for two hours.

I've made sushi rice a few times in order to make California rolls,
of which I am very fond. Works out to be a very economical starter
for a summer dinner party for 8. Anyway, one of the tricks is the
rapid cooling of the rice. I also use rice vinegar instead of rice
wine and leave out the soy sauce. I wonder how that changes the
flavour?

For the rolls I use smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber. With the
usual dips. Not very enterprising, but it works for even the least
adventurous guests without boring those who like sushimi.

--
Moira, the Faerie Godmother
I hope my standard of living doesn't go up. I can't afford the one