Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Bread flour for shortbread?

"baker1" > wrote in message
news
> Recipes call for All Purpose, but I'm wondering if using bread flour
> is better. I use bread flour for my banana quick breads and it turns
> out better than using AP.
>
> However, these shortbread recipes do call for chilling the dough, and
> rolling it out...unlike banana bread.
>
> Vox...anything on this?

I think the term "bread" is what is muddying the waters here. Also there is
no real consistency in AP flour. You many have a very high protein AP flour
that is higher in protein than some bread flours. If there is a
consistency, it would be within a line of products from the same
manufacturer.

Personally, I find that AP flour is good for quick breads. These are
products that are more like cakes than traditional yeast leavened bread.
However, if your bread flour gives you the result that you like, that's all
that counts.

Cookies may benefit from higher protein flour. It all depends on what
characteristics you like. For short bread cookies, the higher protein flour
would make them stronger. For soft, moist cookies, a lower protein flour
would be better. I say give it a try.