Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Plastic bakeware?

wrote:
> After speaking of the mini muffin tins, I see that our local mega
> grocery store chain (Jewel) has a display of bake ware that looks like
> plastic (nylon, or?). Very flexible. Muffin pans, flat "cookie
> sheets,", bread pans, round bowls for unknown use -- plus sleeves for
> pan handles and "grabbers" (look like claws) I guess in place of pot
> holders to hold things from the oven.
> .
> Has anybody used these things? Are they worth it? The muffin trays
> and bread pans are so flexible, I would guess you have to set them on
> sheet pans to get them in and out of the oven to keep them from
> flexing and spilling. They are priced at, mostly, five dollars each.
> Is there any advantage in these versus getting basic aluminum pans?
> I'm planning for large quantity batch baking.
> .
> TIA
> .
> Rev. Jim

They sound like a silicone rubber material. These have become quite
popular with some users since they are non-stick and easy to clean.

You need to support them on a baking sheet.

If they are very thin you might check if these are pans or liners. The
couple I have are quite thick and stand up without support.

$5 is very cheap for these.