Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default Deep fried byproduct

pix924 wrote:
> I am back to this NG after a lapse of several years, I have decided
> this would be a place to ask this question: I am not trolling; I do
> need some sort of practical answer to this small problem.
> I would like to know what folks do with the grease left over from
> deep-frying. I do not do this to my food very often, and I will store
> some in my electric fryer, which has a top to keep it somewhat free of
> contamination in between uses. There are times one needs to change it,
> as when it has been a month or so between uses, when you want to fry
> something that will leave some flavor in the grease, when you fry
> something that leaves a lot of bits at the bottom of the fryer, etc. I
> also do some frying on the stove. I have no idea how to deal with used
> oil. I hold bacon grease in the fridge.
> I do not own or know anyone who can use it as a fuel. I live on a farm
> in a small town in upstate NY where rubbish removal is for the rich; we
> use a "transfer station" and pay by the pound (when I lived in
> Brooklyn I would have poured it into a non-recyclable bottle and put in
> my trash on the curb). I'm fairly certain in the "olden days"
> when my house was new they would have dumped it outdoors. I am curious
> what others do with it, what was done with it in the past, and I am
> open to useful suggestions. I know what to expect here from the usual
> suspects, and yet I am still curious enough to ask.

I live in upstate NY too... hi neighbor... my old cooking grease helps
feed the birds in winter.... mix with bird seed (it's cheap) and pour
into two quart milk cartons to harden in the freezer... when the
outdoor temps drop down near zero cut the carton away and toss the
blocks out on the back lawn, that's what I do, so my cats can watch the
show. There's never anything in my trash that the animals can eat or
can be composted. I save the fat blocks for when the temps get really
low, that's when the birds need that kind of diet the most. Of course
if you're lazy just pour it on the ground at the edge of a wooded area,
all sorts of wildlife will find it, and quick. I don't recommend
putting fat, vegetable or animal, in your composter... won't compost
during winter anyway and when the weather turns warm it will stink and
will take more than a year to fully break down and since it contains no
cellulose won't become humous either.

Sheldon